Car accidents can be terrifying in the flash of a moment you may find yourself in a collision and surrounded by broken glass and smoke. Needless to say, it might be hard to focus on what steps you should take next. But following the steps listed below is a start.
- Ensure your safety: If possible, move your car and passengers to a safe place away from the flow of traffic.
- Seek medical attention: Remain calm and focus on getting medical attention for yourself and your passengers if necessary. Regardless of how minor your injuries appear to be, make sure you visit a doctor.
- Collect witness information: Did anyone see or hear the accident? If so, be sure to collect the names and contact information of any witnesses. If law enforcement was involved, you should also obtain a copy of the police report.
- Photograph the scene: Using a camera or cell phone camera, you should take photographs of the scene of the accident. Make sure you snap shots of your car, the other driver's car and any other factors that may have contributed to the crash such as poor signage or road conditions.
- Contact an attorney: Second to seeing a doctor, contacting an experienced lawyer is the most important step you can take when you are in an accident caused by a negligent or reckless driver or other condition.
Suffering an injury in an auto accident can be a traumatic experience. An experienced personal injury attorney can stand by your side and help you recover.