nager romaine & schneiberg attorneys

Paying Medical Bills After Your Personal Injury

Being injured accident is serious business, especially if you receive a substantial injury. Plus, there’s always the added worry of who is going to pay the mounting medical bills that have accrued as a result of your accident.

Your health insurer is the primary

Your health insurance company is first in line to cover your medical bills following an accident. Don’t be surprised if they refuse to pay your medical bills, claiming your auto insurer is responsible. Your health insurer is aware of Ohio’s Coordination of Benefits laws (COB) and subrogation laws that require them to work with other insurers, by acting as primary insurers while your personal injury case is pending. Your health insurer is reimbursed later for claims they paid out through a third-party damages award generated by your personal injury lawsuit.

Final disposition, then subrogation

Once your personal injury settlement reaches final disposition, a settlement check is issued to your attorney who writes medical subrogation checks out of the settlement. If you do not have health insurance, your car insurance is second in line to cover your medical bills. In that event, when your settlement funds do arrive from your Ohio personal injury lawsuit, your attorney reimburses your auto insurer, rather than your health insurer.

Letter of Protection

Every now and then it’s necessary for Nager, Romaine & Schneiberg Co., LPA to write a “Letter of Protection” on your behalf. This communication informs your medical care providers that you are being treated for injuries sustained in an accident, that you have a personal injury lawsuit pending, and they will be reimbursed once settlement funds become available.

Disclaimer: The information in this blog post (“post”) is provided for general informational purposes only, and may not reflect the current law in your jurisdiction. No information contained in this post should be construed as legal advice, nor is it intended to be a substitute for legal counsel on any subject matter. No reader of this post should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any information included in, or accessible through, this Post without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from a lawyer licensed in the recipient’s state, country or other appropriate licensing jurisdiction.
Call now 855.GOT.HURT
Request a Consultation Today
Contact Form Demo
phone-handsetmap-markermenuchevron-down linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram